Yes, I am here to whine a bit.
Despite the fact that no one else in my family has gotten sick, I strongly suspect that I am recovering from norovirus. I had severe vomiting, dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps, and body aches. Oh, the body aches. Let me tell you! The pain in my legs was indescribable. It felt like my bones were breaking from the inside. All I could do was lay in bed and moan. It was horrible.
I got sick this past Saturday, and now, on Friday, a week later, I am finally able to get back to work. Saturday was the worst day with intense nausea, dizziness, vomiting, body aches, and fever. Sunday, I felt better, but by the night I was sick again. Monday, I wanted very badly to feel better, but… no luck. Tuesday, I thought I was on the mend, but that night I woke up with intense dizziness, nausea, chills, and shakes. Wednesday, we went to the doctors where they tested me for everything from pregnancy to appendicitis. Thursday, I felt weak and tired, but started taking probiotics and had a dramatic improvement. I was finally able to eat food! Friday, I was able to go back to work.
Aside from the illness itself, one of the hardest parts about this illness were the memories it brought up. This was the same season I started getting sick when I was pregnant with Katie, and remembering the hyperemesis was painful and frightening. I smelled the same smells and felt the same feelings.
I was afraid to eat and drink, and even the taste of the Zofran triggered panic and fear.
It was so awful that I even sent Juan to the pharmacy to pick up a pregnancy test. I spent a day convinced that this was actually HG and that I would never feel well again.
At any rate, I eventually recovered. I credit the Bio-K probiotics I started yesterday morning for a large part of my recovery.
There isn’t really a moral to this story except that hyperemesis never leaves you. Even when the illness goes away, the fear stays.
- Stomach Bug Spreading Across US (abcnews.go.com)
- Forget The Flu: The Norovirus Is Taking Over America (theatlanticwire.com)
- New Strain of Stomach Bug Spreading Across US (whas11.com)
- New global stomach bug hitting the US (abc15.com)
- New Stomach Bug Strain Moving Into United States (pittsburgh.cbslocal.com)
- US hit by new stomach bug spreading around globe (onlineathens.com)
- US hit by new norovirus stomach bug (newsnet5.com)
- So You’ve Managed To Escape The Flu, Congrats! Here’s A Norovirus Fresh From Australia (consumerist.com)